Bringing legalized gaming to Texas will not only benefit those localized communities, but the entire state. Recent economic studies indicate:
- Casinos at racetracks would add 75,000 jobs and $8.5 billion in economic growth statewide.
- Texans already gamble outside our borders – according to a 2010 study, 90% of the customers at casinos on the Texas-Oklahoma border are Texans.
- Texans spend more than $4.37 billion each year at casinos across the state border in neighboring states such as Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Louisiana. Our neighbors are using Texas money to create jobs and pay for their schools, police officers, and firemen.
- In its hay-day, the racing industry contributed $5.5 billion to the Texas economy annually and supported 36,000 jobs, but these figures are dropping rapidly. The horse industry is quickly abandoning Texas for Oklahoma, Louisiana, and New Mexico where gaming is allowed and consequently, race purses are higher. The Texas horse industry is in decline and it’s time to level the playing field.
- 40 industries are expected to benefit from gaming expansion, including tourism, agriculture, construction, and services industries.
- Casinos at racetracks in Texas could generate an estimated $1 billion annually in tax revenue.
In order to accommodate the increasing numbers of Texas gamers who drive to casinos in Oklahoma, two Native American tribes are expanding at an impressive